Thursday, October 30, 2008

Gentleness

from a prayer by Hassan Dehqani-Tafti:
'extinguish within me the feelings of self-importance, and the last stirrings of my ego, and make me gentle'

Last night I ran to my hearts content. I rid myself of the cares and worries of the day (it's been busy at work!) and was able to breathe deeply. Ego? Well, I am not sure if I was egotistic yesterday, but the desire to be self-important always knocks at my door. part of the running last night helped that subside. Also, knowing that at the foot of the Cross, all are equal and we are ONLY made righteous through Him, this helps free me to not strive for that self-importance.

Lord please help me to be gentle today. Pleae help me to remember that loving those around me is more important than getting things done. That smiling and laughter are good medicine for my own soul as well as showing love for others, and that relationships survive best with love, understanding and self-less care.