Saturday, August 9, 2008

Paddle Surfing

Today I went out paddle surfing for the first time...a novice surfer trying her hand at paddle surfing. Interesting (in a good way) to say the least. If you were watching (and listening) from the shore, you'd probably been wondering what in the world because of all of my yelping. Yet...I had an excellent teacher, so I was in good hands.

I got the hang of it after a number of spills (and only one bruise, see right). And I did actually ride one wave in, which was pretty fun. I actually liked standing up in the waves and balancing, holding me feet on the board and trying to stay vertical. I can imagine once you get the hang of it, that it would be really calm, fun, and peaceful. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Standing up to surf also gives you this really neat perspective of the water. The water just seems to glisten from that angle. Well, it also probably had something to do with the day...it was once again, absolutely beautiful. The sun was just right and it wasn't too hot but it was that warming, comfortable hot.

Besides playing in the waves, we also paddled into the Folly...that was cool. And this flock of seagulls, a variety of them, just stood there beside us on the bank and didn't fly away. (That's when I know God is smiling.)

Tonight I feel worn out from my newest form of adventure, but I am content. Paddle surfing this afternoon gave me the energy to complete the rest of my day, which entailed hanging out and entertaining my awesome nephew, Kaleb. Today was the perfect balance of fun and responsibility.

Yeah!

No comments: