Monday, August 18, 2008

Running therapy

Well tonight I went out for a run in the evening, as opposed to the morning, because it was thundering and lightning at 5am here this morning and I really didn't want to brave it then.
However, I think it was for the best because I really "needed" to run tonight...not only for my marathon training but also to clear my head and my heart. Irritations, frustrations, other things building up inside...all needed to be pounded out with the rhythm of my stride...and the sound of the ocean.
I darted out from my parent's house in Shipyard (I had gone over for dinner) and headed for the beach. Four days in a row now on the beach...something must be pulling me there.
Watching the clouds change colors as the sun went down, people watching along the way...with the day's sandcastles left for the overcoming power of the tide.
There is a rhythm to running which helps drown out the other voices in my head. And it allows God to speak more clearly to my soul. Toward the end of my run, looking up into the sky, I began reciting Psalm 121, "I lift my eyes up to the hills. Where does my help come from? My help it comes from the Lord, Maker of Heaven and Earth."
It felt good to run. Good to be outside. Good to remember where my help comes from. I let things go. Put a smile back across my face.

No comments: