Thursday, July 24, 2008

Walking on the beach


Tonight I went for a walk on the beach after work. It was really nice. Calm. Gentle. Peaceful. I hadn't done this in a few weeks, and because I am more and more on a regular training schedule now for my marathon, I am consequently running a lot before work, skipping evening walks.


However, today was my "rest" day and I didn't run this AM and was just dying, almost craving, to be outside afterwork. So tonight I walked.


Walking is another joy that I am recalling here in this blog because it is truly so wonderful to do on Hilton Head. Yet everytime I go walking on the beach, I am so surprised that I don't see more people out there doing it with me. I personally am fulfilled everytime. Up until I began all of this running, I walked on the beach regularly-- about 5 times a week--at least! Long, hour walks that would exercise my body and refresh my spirit. Making time for me to think and to dialogue with the Lord. Creating time for my eyes to ingest the vibrant, radiant colors of the earth, sea and sky...the greens, blues, tans, browns, and greys of the land...and the fiery oranges or fuschias of the setting-sun above.


I can't fathom existing on Hilton Head Island, or anywhere for that matter, and not spending time outdoors. It blows my mind people who choose to stay inside ALL the time, epcecially here. And, in referencing my earlier blog regarding the 'ocean swim 'afterwork, my exclamation of "I should really do this more" was not about me NOT getting outside, because I get outside all the time. It was about swimming...in the ocean. And not taking advantage of that specifically.


So, hopefully I will do that more, swim (or surf!). And, also, even with all of this running, I want to keep walking. And now that most of my evenings are free, I hope that I will walk in the evenings, even if not very far (a nice stroll). Maximizing our fantastic summer. Enjoying the beach in the waning sunlight and feeling the soothing salty air (like the salt water!) - how life-giving, wonderful and great.



1 comment:

Haley J said...

Hilton Head! My mom's been there; said it's beautiful. And judging by your pictures, it most definitely is. The camera you use must be fantastic -- and so must the person behind it :)