Monday, November 10, 2008

Shrimpin' on Saturday Night

So I had my first real taste of shrimping in the Low Country on Saturday night. Jamie was gracious enough to take me out with he and Rex for an evening of trying to catch some big ones! Well, the night was all set to be just perfect: the wind died down, the evening wasn't too too cold and Jamie and Rex had prepared some great bait. We put the poles out in a nice neat straight line, just like a good fisherman would do. And then we waited. But not too long. We were actually scouting out the other fisherman to see when they would start casting their nets.

Jamie set me up to be the little semi-active participant. I made my job bailing water out of the boat when needed and smiling and cheering the guys on. Rex made a valiant attempt the whole time to cast the nets as we passed by the poles. Jamie did a good job of driving the boat and not dumping Rex into the water.
However, as the hours grew longer, it was apparent that the shrimp weren't running as we had all hoped. Rex would pull in the nets, one shrimp at a time. We sadly had a low shrimp turnout --the shrmp just didn't realize that there was a big bait ball party going on!!...the shrimp really missed out!! So, after about 5 hours at about 9pm (we had started at 4pm) Jamie called the last pass for the night and we headed in.

For my part, I enjoyed the experience for what it was - good company and the stars were all starry and the half moon was shining bright. The water became a nice quiet calm when we pulled into the dock close to 10pm. I am thankful for the experience, even with the lower catch (again, the shrimp really missed out on the party!) And, I didn't freeze my tush off too much.
On Sunday, the eating was delicious and I am thankful for the hands who worked diligently on the boat to prepare us for the adventure. (And those same diligent hands went out the following day and caught more fish for the eating!)

Here are more pics!

No comments: